In Hong Kong Space is a premium and no matter if you live in a Tiny One Bedroom in Soho or a Lovely 4 bedroom in Repulse Bay, there never seems to be enough space for storage. Here is 10 Sure Fire Ways to make a small space look bigger.
1. De clutter the space and off the floors.
One of the key tips to make a room feel larger is to clear away clutter and get things such as books off the floor. Cleverly designed bookshelves can double up as a display for ornaments and antiques.
2. Keep Floors and Walls, Light
Keeping Floors light will help reflect the light and give the space an open and airy feel.
3. Paint the Ceilings a lighter colour than the walls
By Keeping ceilings a lighter color that the walls, you will give the impression that the room is taller.
4. Pull Furniture away from Walls to give a sense of space.
Pulling Furniture away from walls gives an illusion of space and will avoid making everything look cramped.
5. Make use of multipurpose furnishings that can double up as storage.
Cleaver designed furnishings can be perfect for storing small items that can clutter the space.
6. Hang Shelves near the ceiling to draw the eyes upwards
Making use of all the nooks and crannies could also help make the room look bigger by balancing out the room
7. Use large decorative accents pieces.
Smaller pieces (smaller than a melon) tend to crowd a room. Use larger statement pieces in groups of three. The basic idea of the rule: information and objects that appear in threes are
8. Use Statement Piece Furnishings
This large sofa that takes up the whole space actually makes the room look less cluttered than many smaller pieces.
9. Use Mirrors to reflect light and make the room look bigger
Mirrors are interior designer’s biggest secret to make a room look bigger, use them to reflect off a feature that you want to highlight such as green trees or a sea view.
10. Choose a Sofa with Exposed Legs to give a sense of space.
Sofa Lifted Up from the Floor Creates a Feeling of Space and Makes the room look bigger
11. Use Symmetry to create a peaceful, organized feel
By balancing out a room with matching pieces on both sides you are able to give the sense or order and peace.
12. Use Stripes to make a room wider or longer
Place a rug with stripes in the direction that you want the room to look bigger and you will notice a transformation.
Qi-Homes Provides Staging and Interior Design consultation to our clients who purchase flats from us. For more information on cost effective ways to enhance your space and maximize your rental and sales potential please click here.